Domestication has made dogs less active in hunting for meals.
Home dogs never have to worry about scraping their meals out in nature anymore.
They’ve got their owners feeding them with the most delicious meals rich in nutrients.
But this tendency has led to over half of canines in the US is diagnosed with obese.
While the other half suffers rickets.
If your pup is on the skinny team, find the best high-calorie dog food to add more muscles to your dog here.
- 1 Signs of underweight dogs
- 2 What is in high calories dog food?
- 3 The Best High-Calorie Dry Food for Dogs Reviews
- 4 Bottom line
Signs of underweight dogs
It is not hard to tell if your dog lacks calories.
There are symptoms to tell you your dog is in need of more calories. But in any critical situation, contact your vet to consult.
Here are the signs:
- Losing appetite.
- The coat gets dull and clotted.
- Bones in shoulders stick out.
- Energy drops.
- Losing weight and muscles.
- Not interested in walking or playing.
- Show depression opposes all activities.
These ring the bell for you to take action. We suggest taking your pooch to the vet first.
On your part, it’s time to swap the diet to the high-calorie food for the dog.
What is in high calories dog food?
Calories are yielded from ingredients used in the food primarily from fats; both animal and vegetable fats.
Fats from chicken, for example, is one calorie source high in generic fat and Vitamin E. In one ounce, it contains 255 calorie units.
High-calorie food also makes use of canola oil to provide Omega fatty acids.
However, these regular foods sold in the supermarket are considered to have fewer calories to supply ill dogs.
In the meantime, the named calories in holistic food contribute beyond the needs to boost up the condition.
Other calorie sources
Particularly, flaxseed oil, salmon fish oil or other extracted oils are of which the calories come from.
Along with their nutritional benefits, the fuel they add to the whole picture is counted significantly.
Aside from demanding more bulk in the body, your little woofy friend also needs to improve his coat, hair, and body function.
Therefore, the best dog food to gain weight and muscle should have more features than just calories.
So, when you want to buy high-calorie canine food, read the label and analyze the ingredients. It should indicate the number of calories per cup along with the feeding direction.
But here we have done it for you.
The Best High-Calorie Dry Food for Dogs Reviews
We took the food into consideration based on its amount of provided energy, the first ingredients and its safe properties to feed your gaunt pup.
1. Purina Pro Plan Sport Formula
- First ingredients: Chicken
- Crude proteins: 30%
- Crude fats: 20%
- Calories: 475 kcal/cup
- Purina high-calorie dog food really concentrates on nourishing muscles as well as supports fuel metabolism.
- The food features ultimate ingredients to wake your dog up and get him to the field. Besides helping your four-legged pal retain his vividness, the food with added EPA and Omega-3 aid the health of joints and mobility.
- Your dog needs more than just calories. There are antioxidants to insulate the immune system. It further optimizes oxygen metabolism so that your pup can endure all afternoon catching Frisbee.
- The formula makes use of allergic components like grain, corn and by-product meal.
2. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula high-calorie dog food
- First ingredients: Deboned lamb
- Crude proteins: 22%
- Crude fats: 14%
- Calories: 378 kcal/cup.
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient. High-quality protein from real lamb helps your dog build and maintain healthy muscles. Plus they contain wholesome whole grains garden veggies and fruit.
- FOR ADULT DOGS: BLUE Life Protection Formula adult dog food contains essential proteins and carbohydrates to help meet the energy needs of adult dogs and features omega 3 & 6 fatty acids to promote a shiny coat and healthy skin.
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE's exclusive LifeSource Bits a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists, to support immune system health, life stage requirements, and a healthy oxidative balance.
- A NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dry dog food is made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals. BLUE contains NO chicken (or poultry) by-product meals corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Contains one (1) 30 lb. Bag of BLUE Life Protection Formula Healthy Weight Adult Dry Dog Food Chicken and Brown Rice
These are the FAQs about dog allergies answered by the professional vet, do not miss it to read.
3. Orijen Original Dry Dog Food
- First ingredients: Deboned chicken and deboned turkey
- Crude proteins: 37%
- Crude fats: 20%
- Calories: 470 kcal/cup.
- ORIJEN Original dog food delivers a diet rich and varied in fresh, whole animal ingredients from free-run chicken and turkey, wild-caught fish, and cage-free eggs
- With 85% quality animal ingredients, ORIJEN nourishes dogs according to their natural, biological needs
- Using fresh and raw animal ingredients, including meat, organs, cartilage, and bone, ORIJEN is the Biologically Appropriate, grain-free diet that dogs have evolved to eat
- Our Fresh Regional Ingredients are supplied by people we know and trust, and are delivered to our kitchen fresh or raw, in their most natural and nourishing form
- Age Range Description: All Life Stages
Taking care of rickety dogs is a job of love and heart. We understand the ailment that comes not only to your dog but also to you.
She was a skinny little poor girl with her back feet unable to lift. We got her calcium injections, and the vet recommended the food.
Fiona is now a one-year-old howling princess who loves catching her ball around.
It broke us into tears seeing her walked on her feet the other day. She got her lean muscles after five months chomping the Orijen. We can’t be more thankful.
We would love to listen to your stories in the comments right here.
Hope our list of high-calorie dog foods has helped you in selecting the right bag.
Popular Other Best Dog Food Reviews
Last update on 2020-12-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API