Here you go Healthy Dog Food FAQs and many more.
For a dog food to be certified as healthy, the food in question must satisfy all the positive aspects of life, e.g. physical, mental and psychological area.
The market is full of a countless number of dog foods, and it’s pretty easy to get confused while making the selection.
To worsen the situation, most dog foods have almost identical name hence causing a problem of distinction.
Instances of manufacturers falsifying the information about the ingredients have also been reported recently.
It’s therefore, essential to pay keen attention and confirm if the food you want to purchase passes standardization tests with standardization marks as the evidence.
Question & Answers about Healthy Dog Food and Recommendations
How do you choose healthy dog food?
The headache most pet parents experience is how to select suitable dog foods that would guarantee the well-being of our pawed friends.
Here are a few factors that you need to consider before picking the ideal diets that will make your dog healthy;
Emphasize on the dog’s age, reproductive status, breed, and activity level
- Consider buying dog food rich in high calories for the dogs undertaking strenuous activity while dormant dog should take low calories food. Large breeds consume energy-based food than the smaller breeds.
- An expectant dog needs immunity to safeguard her life, and that of her puppies hence need more mineral and vitamins.
- Puppies that are vigorously growing require food rich in protein for growth and development.
Check the ingredients carefully
- The value of food is determined by the ingredients it contains. The best way to select a healthy dog food for your pet is by picking a pack and checking if the ingredients are ideal for your dog’s nutritional needs.
Only go for fresh dog food
- Dog food may satisfy all your dog’s nutritional requirements but may not be fresh thus creating the possibility of an upset in the dog’s stomach.
- The best way to determine whether the food is fresh is by checking the expiry date written on the package.
Look if the label bears AAFCO mark
- Association of American Feed Control Official (AAFCO) is the body mandated with the task of ensuring that all foods meet the set standard of consumption in North America.
- Be very careful when buying dog foods because some unscrupulous may sneak in sub-standard dog foods to sell to unsuspecting buyers.
Pay no attention to dog foods that list any by-products
- By-products are known to constitute some toxic chemicals that are responsible for the skin ailments and allergies that often affect our dogs.
Avoid dog foods listing grains as the top ingredients
- Even though grains in dog foods are vital for effective digestion in our pets, grains are equally alleged to be responsible for allergies in dogs.
- Besides, dog foods with a high proportion of grains are mainly commercial foods which contain toxic pesticides.
The specific type of meat
- If the dog food doesn’t specify the kind of meat it contains, don’t buy the food because the meat could be organ meat.
What’s the good dog food that can help puppies to keep weight?
Puppies require foods that are rich in calories because they are very active considering that they are always playing if not sleeping.
Active pets need energy in their muscles to move quickly.
Given that most puppies’ foods are rich in protein, we have to find a way through which energy-rich food can get into young dogs’ diet.
As you know, puppies’ main meal is milk and milk mostly has phosphorous, calcium and iron necessary for their development.
This means that a pup requires additional food to obtain energy.
The ideal puppy dog food with high calories is Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food for Puppy.
It’s crucial to know that a dog is categorized as a puppy right from birth until she attains the age of one year.
The features that make the dog food to stand tall in the market are;
- Made from natural and high-quality ingredients.
- The ingredients are easy to digest.
- Quality Vitamins, Minerals, and Amino Acids.
- Features no artificial colors, preservatives, and flavors.
- Vitamin E+C combined with clinically proven antioxidants to boost the immunity of your puppy.
- Comes in three packs to satisfy puppies of various weight and age.
- Also good for nursing and expecting dogs.
These are the dog food allergies which you have to aware of to avoid in dog meals.
How do you guys feel about bully Max for your dog?
Bully Max Dog Food is one of the dominant pet foods on Amazon market, and many pet parents feel very enthusiastic about it.
However, it’s only ideal for your dog upon the counsel from your vet.
Bully Max is a meat-based dry dog food that features high proportions of fats, carbs, and proteins.
The food is ideal for; developing puppy, dogs recovering from illness, active dogs and dogs rescued from straying.
The main ingredients in this dog food are; chicken meal, chicken fat, menhaden fish meal, brewer yeast, flaxseed, barley, sorghum, and beet pulp.
From the ingredients alone, it’s clear that the dog offers high calorie and protein in a dry state.
Bully Max fans say;
- Highly nutritious dog food that satisfies every dog’s needs regardless of the breed, age or size.
- Natural ingredients featured in the food makes a dog healthy.
- Flaxseed is the most excellent source of healthy Omega-3 fatty acid and soluble fiber.
- Brewer yeast helps in fighting fleas’ infestation and boosts the immune system.
- It has been in the market since 2009 with no incidences reported.
Critics of Bully Max say;
- Chicken fat is an excellent ingredient but has low appetite level for dogs.
- Beet pulp is a by-product while others consider it as filler.
- They alleged that yeast ingredient is responsible for allergies in dogs.
Verdict: Bully Max is a dog food that has passed all standardization tests and has been in the market in the past decade with no incidences reported.
The reputation it has gained has enabled it to receive high ratings among reviewers. As a vet, I highly recommend it.
What is the top dog food for large dogs with grain sensitivity?
Large dogs just like any other dog can develop a sensitivity for foods that have grains.
For us to know the best food that can solve the situation, it’s a good idea to determine signs that show your dogs have developed sensitivity against grain-based foods.
Here are the signs and symptoms;
- Skin irritation.
- Frequent ear irritation.
- Digestive problems.
- Anal gland infections.
- Some behavioral changes.
Since most grains in dog food provide proteins for our pets, it’s important to switch your dog from grain-based to protein-based if you notice signs of sensitivity.
The best dog food that would help in combating grain sensitivity is Merrick backcountry grain-free for large breeds
What is the best food for large dogs with stomach sensitivity?
With the help of your vet, you can establish whether your dog has developed stomach sensitivity.
Most dogs’ conditions have nearly the same signs, so it requires keen attention to determine if indeed it is stomach sensitivity.
Signs of stomach sensitivity in dogs
- Gas infections
Causes stomach sensitivity in dogs
- Emotional distress
- Inability to digest some proteins and fats
- Sensitivity to protein-based food
- Failure to digest ingredients in her treats
Features of dog food ideal for stomach sensitivity
- Grain-free food.
- Highly digestible food.
- The inclusion of bland.
- A low number of ingredients in the content.
The food that fulfills all these requirements is Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food.