Guinea pigs have made their way into our hearts with their adorable features and sweet personality traits.
Having such a little pet in the house can make people feel like they are caring for a child.
If you own a guinea pig, then don’t forget to mind its feeding, its drinking, sleeping place, among many other things.
Among these affairs, the most prominent deed must be eating and drinking, there are guinea eating racks also available.
Guinea pigs are often kept in cages; therefore, buying a good guinea pig water bottle is a must to keep the pet healthy and thriving.
Do you know what the requirements for a guinea pig water bottle DIY are?
Read on and we will give you an in-depth comparison so you can make a calculated choice.
- 1 Guinea pigs need a lot of water
- 2 Why does your guinea pig need a water bottle?
- 3 Can we go without a water bottle for guinea pigs?
- 4 Types of water bottles for guinea pigs
- 5 How to choose a water bottle for your cavy?
- 6 Customer Picks: 5 Top Rated Guinea Pig Water Bottles Reviews
- 7 15 Best Guinea Pig Water Bottles to Buy on the Internet
- 7.1 Choco Nose H128 Water Bottle for Guinea Pig
- 7.2 Flammi Pet Water Bottle Hanging No Drip Water Bottle
- 7.3 Kordon/Oasis (Novalek) SOA80850 Water Bottle
- 7.4 LIXIT Natural Wide Mouth Water Bottle for Pets
- 7.5 OASIS 80610 All Weather Water Bottle for Guinea Pig
- 7.6 6Lixit Corporation SLX0670 All Weather Pet Water Bottle
- 7.7 Lixit Assorted Critter Brites Deluxe Guinea Pig Bottle
- 7.8 OASIS 80600 Crystal Clear Water Bottle for Guinea Pig
- 7.9 Pet Water Bottle, FAT PAT 300ml Leak-proof Small Animal
- 7.10 Alfie Pet by Petoga Couture – 2-in-1 Water Bottle for Small Animals
- 7.11 Choco Nose H125 Patented No Drip Water Bottle 11.2 Oz
- 7.12 Ferplast Pet Large Water Bottle
- 7.13 Pet Bottle, FATPET® 400ml /13.5oz Rear-filling Pet Water Bottle
- 7.14 RentACoop 32 oz No Drip Small Animal Water Bottle for Guinea Pig
- 7.15 AOWA 1 Pcs Little Pet Hang Water Drinking Bottle Dispenser Cylindrical Feeder
- 8 A guide for Guinea Pig Water Drinking
- 9 How to stop a guinea pig water bottle from leaking?
- 10 Guinea pig water bottle how to attach to the cage
- 11 Buy a Guinea Pig Water Bottle Holder
- 12 Guinea Pig Water Bottle DIY
- 13 Do you have a star in mind?
Guinea pigs need a lot of water
- Unlike kids, these pets can’t tell you exactly what they want and need so you will have to equip them with the best guinea pig water bottles before they even need them.
- Now, let’s have a look at what’s a guinea pig water bottle is like and why do they need to be attached to a guinea pig water bottle holder.
Why does your guinea pig need a water bottle?
- Every living creature on this Earth needs water to sustain life, guinea pigs are no exception.
- Different from animals in the wild, domestic guinea pigs need to have water from bowls and bottles.
- That way, water won’t be spilled and wasted. We also keep track of how much water the pets have taken.
- Guinea pigs are active animals. Keeping water in bottles also help the house cleaner.
Can we go without a water bottle for guinea pigs?
We human sometimes only need cups and glasses in the house to drink water.
However, this is not the case with guinea pigs. They are weak animals, that need a constant source of water supply.
Therefore, the bottle must be designed suitably to the animals’ drinking habit.
On the other hand, because of their playful nature, the bottle must also be made of strong material so that it can stand damage.
Last but not least, you should mind that the bottle is made of safe material so that your loved pet is healthy drinking water from it.
In short, you should pick a guinea pig water bottle that has these characteristics:
- It must contain an adequate amount of water.
- No prickly edges: The edges must be smooth so that your pet won’t cut itself.
- It must have lines to indicate the amount of water the pig has drunk.
- This must be compatible with a guinea pig water bottle holder so that we can attach the bottle to the cage safely. Or else, you would need to hold on to the bottle, which contradicts its use.
- Water bottle must be made of durable material to withstand the guinea pigs’ claws and bites.
- The materials must also be safe so that even when the heat gets to the bottle, the water inside is still drinkable.
When you are out for a holiday and can’t take the cavy with you, the water bottles must hold enough water because you won’t be there in a long period of time.
Types of water bottles for guinea pigs
There is a variety of water bottle for guinea pigs on the market. They can be categorized based on different characteristics:
- The material: There are plastic or glass, or steel guinea pigs water bottles. The water holders may come in different material and shapes, but the basic shapes are always cylindrical.
- Indicating grids: If the bottles have grids on them, that is a huge plus because it shows how much water is put in, and how much water is left. There are some types of bottles that don’t include grids but have figures that can help you to see the water level based on the figure. However, the preferred design is still the one with the grid.
- Nozzles: Nozzles come in many different lengths and shapes, and is different from bottle to bottle. Some of the models have a twisted – end nozzles, while others are straight throughout.
- Hangers: Bottles with built-in hangers save you from buying a water bottle holder for guinea pigs.
How to choose a water bottle for your cavy?
There are so many types of water bowls for guinea pigs on the market that choosing one is difficult.
Let alone choosing the best drinking water bottle for your guinea pig!
Therefore, it’s best that you follow the guide below when making your decision:
- If the bottle is made of glass, you will save a lot of time and effort cleaning them. Glass water bottles for cavies also allow you to wash by dishwashers. This kind of bottle is a bit more costly, but they sure worth the money.
- The guinea pig water bottle hanger, which usually comes with the bottle, must consist of a spring, or a similar stretchable unit because you will find that the bottles would need replacing much more frequently than the holder.
- Choose the hanger with a firm grip so that the bottle can be fixed strongly to the cage.
- On the nozzle, you can find a bob. This bob should be as smooth as the surface of the bottle so that the indicator always shows the correct amount of water
- In comparison with a straight nose, the slightly bent nozzle is superior. Also, choose the nozzle with length so that the pigs won’t have trouble drinking out from it.
In a nutshell, we would say that the best water bottle for your pet should: have grids on it, have a long nozzle, slightly bent at the end, is made of glass, and included a stretchable hanger so we can hang the bottle up on the cage.
If a bottle ticks all these points, then you can have confidence bringing it home for your pet.
Customer Picks: 5 Top Rated Guinea Pig Water Bottles Reviews
15 Best Guinea Pig Water Bottles to Buy on the Internet
With the information above, we believe that you’ve had an insight into what is the best choice for a water drinking bottle for cavies.
Below are our top 15 choices for the best drinking bottles for cavies.
Here, you can find one that suits your need, whether it is about price, quality, design or convenience.
Choco Nose H128 Water Bottle for Guinea Pig
As we mentioned above, the nozzle of the water bottle must be slightly bent.
From the picture, you can see a perfect example of this feature, however, it is designed with a leakproof design, so that the water always comes out cleanly and efficiently.
Flammi Pet Water Bottle Hanging No Drip Water Bottle
If other guinea pig water holders have leak-proof feature, this one goes a step further by reducing the noise made by the pet, as well as by the components of the bottles.
- Body made of PP plastic. Top and bottom made of plastic. Ball-point tube made of stainless steel.
- This bottle is totally healthy and harmless for your pet.
- You can add water conveniently just by twisting off the bottom lid with a nozzle tube.
- The nozzle has built-in ballpoints and springs, which helps the animal drink water more comfortably by themselves.
- Effectively avoid insect dust pollution of drinking water.
Kordon/Oasis (Novalek) SOA80850 Water Bottle
This product comes from Oasis – one of the most reputable brands on the market. Kordon/Oasis strong points include quality and durability.
- Tubes and balls are made of stainless steel.
- Sturdy and strong.
- Slow drips, suitable for smaller guinea pigs and baby cavies.
- Comes with a heavy-wired holder which will support the water well both inside and outside the house.
- Can withstand special environments such as pet stores, garden, zoos, etc.
LIXIT Natural Wide Mouth Water Bottle for Pets
Lixit water bottle has a wide mouth, which distinguished it from other bottles.
Simple and industrial looking – this is the choice for many animal care centers.
OASIS 80610 All Weather Water Bottle for Guinea Pig
All water bottle for pets from Kordon Oasis has double ball point valves.
They are designed to suit most small animals. The drinking tube is made of stainless steel and comes with an angled cap.
6Lixit Corporation SLX0670 All Weather Pet Water Bottle
As the bigger choice in Lixit water bottle collection, this one is ideal for both guinea pigs, rabbits, and ferrets. At 64 ounces, the size is suitable for owners who have multiple pets.
Lixit Assorted Critter Brites Deluxe Guinea Pig Bottle
This bottle’s strong point is its interesting colors. It is also the preferred choice for owners with good aesthetics.
OASIS 80600 Crystal Clear Water Bottle for Guinea Pig
Although it is available in clear color only, this bottle still has the essential features of a good guinea pig water bottle. It also comes with an angled cap and a large stainless steel drinking tube.
Pet Water Bottle, FAT PAT 300ml Leak-proof Small Animal
The water capacity at 300ml is appropriate for both adult guinea pigs and smaller dogs, making this a good selection for households with multiple pets.
- You can hang it on the pet cases. With some screws, you can fix the bottle on any place, be it walls, wood or concrete surfaces.
- The nozzle is made with roller balls, which prevent leaking.
- Stainless Steel material, not rusting and keep the pet healthy.
- Simple and easy installation.
- Bottles can be snapped on or off for cleaning and refilling water.
Alfie Pet by Petoga Couture – 2-in-1 Water Bottle for Small Animals
This product has “Couture” in its name for a reason: the design is indeed unique and eye-catching.
Although it can only hold 80ml of water, the bottle still has a wide mouth with a large ball-point tube cap.
- Measures 5-inch tall and 1.75-inch in diameter.
- The bottom base is 4.25 tall with a 1.5 x 1.3 entrance.
- The bottom base is also a hideout for the pet to use when it needs to hide.
- Also serves as a decoration for the cage.
- Fun resting and nesting is a safe harbor for your small animal. It even has lookout holes for him to keep an eye out.
Choco Nose H125 Patented No Drip Water Bottle 11.2 Oz
The Choco Nose bottle is made complaisant to the US Patent. The idea is to reuse regular PET bottles so we can consider this option to be one of the most eco-friendly choices available.
- You can turn any normal PET bottles to a guinea pig drinking bottle diy with this tool, so there’s no need to clean the actual bottle.
- Constant new water holder means the water is always fresh and ready for your pet.
- The nozzle is small and fit for smaller animals like pet hamster or baby cavies.
- Nozzle diameter: 10mm
- Made in Taiwan.
Ferplast Pet Large Water Bottle
The water bottle comes from Ferplast is robust, and its cover is removable. Because of the special stainless steel nozzle, it is perfectly watertight.
- The tank is transparent so that we can determine the water level inside with ease.
- Can be fixed to the wire net cages easily thanks to the innovative fastening system.
- It can latch on smooth plastic surfaces due to the practical suckers on the body.
- Available in three different capacities: 0,03 gallons, 0,08 gallons and 0,16 gallons.
- Easy maintenance and refilling.
Pet Bottle, FATPET® 400ml /13.5oz Rear-filling Pet Water Bottle
As expected of FATPET, this bottle doesn’t have an unpleasant smell thanks to high quality and durable plastic materials and stainless steel tube.
RentACoop 32 oz No Drip Small Animal Water Bottle for Guinea Pig
At a huge size of 32 oz, this bottle also includes a simple metal bracket for attachment to the wire cage. It also resists chews effectively, so rest assured that no matter how playful your guinea pig is, it’s going to stay new.
No more worries about guinea pig water bottle not working.
AOWA 1 Pcs Little Pet Hang Water Drinking Bottle Dispenser Cylindrical Feeder
This choice is the cheapest on this list. It has two size options available with only 50 cent difference.
Don’t be fooled by the good price, the quality of this bottle is something their manufacturer takes pride in!
No products found.
A guide for Guinea Pig Water Drinking
An average guinea pig needs about three ounces of fresh and clean water every day.
Of course, each individual will have a different need.
However, all cavies need a constant supply of water, or else their health will fall into an undesired condition.
Cavies tend to drink less water from other rodents or small animals.
However, without a constant water supply, they will become severely dehydrated in a rather short amount of time. Dehydration for cavies is a serious condition, which will impair its proper functioning of the vital organ.
Dehydration is also a common cause of deaths in guinea pigs.
Aside from fresh water, guinea pigs also get their aqua from waterful foods, such as cucumber.
However, pure water should still the main drinking source in their day.
If your cavy suddenly starts to drink more water than usual, you may need to let a veterinarian check him out, because too much water drinking could be a sign of diabetes.
Among all types of es of liquids, alcohol is the most harmful to your Guinea Pig.
That’s why feeding alcohol or beverages to the pet is a no-no.
Besides, human saliva also contains enzymes that the guinea pig can’t ingest, so you must not feed it the water that you’ve drunk.
It is important that you do not add supplemental sustain ounces or sugar to your cavy’s water.
Most guinea pigs don’t need more nutrients than their meals can supply, so unless your vet recommends it, you should not feed the pet with any type of vitamins.
How to stop a guinea pig water bottle from leaking?
Leaking is a common problem for guinea pig water bottles. In fact, a lot of customers report that they haven’t found a guinea pig water bottle that won’t leak.
However, with enough research, you can still find a water bottle that can do the trick.
First of all, did you know that glass water bottles for guinea pigs leak less than other types of bottles? On the other hand, the way you fill in the bottle also affect its tightness.
Experts recommend that you fill the water bottle full each time you change the water.
Once the tank is full, you then have to seal the cap as tight as possible and roll the balls in the nozzle to get some water out.
Only then will the vacuum system work: water will only come out when the cavy comes a leak it, and will stay put inside when left alone.
The condition of the rubber washer is another thing that affects water leakage in guinea pig water bottle.
Old and hard rubber won’t fill the diameter totally, resulting in water dripping from the nozzle. In this case, changing the rubber washer would save you the hassle.
Finally, some bottles leak because of the seal inside the tube malfunctions.
In this case, you can’t really do anything about it by yourself.
Calling the seller and request a replacement for product defect is the fastest and most convenient method.
Guinea pig water bottle how to attach to the cage
Every animal needs water, and a water bottle or bowl is the cleanest and most convenient way to keep your guinea pig hydrated. If you use a bowl, then just placing the bowl on the floor will do the trick.
However, as you may already know, the guinea pig is really active. With its endless maneuver, the animal is bound to make the water bowl tainted.
Once dust, insect or other objects have fallen into the bowl, you would have to change the water ASAP to prevent ingestion problems.
That sounds like a lot hassle, don’t you agree? That’s why to attach guinea pig water bottle to the cage is the preferred method for many guinea pigs owners.
If it is attached correctly, then it will save you from chasing bedding so frequently. The cage won’t need cleaning up daily, because the cavy can’t knock the water bottle over.
There are several ways to attach a guinea pig water bottle. Read on to see which method suits you best!
Buy a Guinea Pig Water Bottle Holder
First of all, what type of cage does your pet have? With small animals like guinea pigs, their cages can either have wire sides or solid, aquarium-like sides.
Regardless of the side, your local pet store would still have a holder that can attach to it.
After you have determined the cage type, then you still need to have a measure of the cage.
It goes without saying that the bottle must be smaller than the cage. However, it is ideal if the water takes up less than ⅛ of the area of one cage side.
Measuring results will help you choose the right bottle from the store. When you have brought the water bottle holder home, we can proceed to attach the holder to the cage:
- If your cage has wire sides, then use can use the tabs to attach the holder to the cage. On the back of the guinea pig water bottle holder, there is often a movable tab that can be slipped between two bars. After you have slipped the tabs between two bars, move it down to hold the holder in place.
- Depend on the height of your cavy, you can move the holder up or down so that the pet can reach it with ease.
- If your cage has solid sides, setting the holder over the top edge is enough.
- Once the bottle holder sets right, we can insert the actual bottle into the holder. Make sure that the drinking section of the bottle pokes right out of the hole at the bottom of the holder. Pull and stretch the adjustable metal band in the center of the holder so that it goes over the bottle, holding it in place.
Guinea Pig Water Bottle DIY
Aside from their cuteness, guinea pigs are also notorious players. They tend to chew and kick on anything that’s insight. Anything inside their cage is fair game, including their water bottle.
If your cavy keeps destroying the water bottle, then make a guinea pig water bottle diy is your best bet.
It can save you a lot of $$$, providing an affordable replacement for the commercial ones.
You can follow these steps to make a water bottle for guinea pigs by yourself:
- Use a regular PET bottle. We can use any mineral water bottles, or washed soft drinks bottles.
- Mark the exact center inside of the bottle’s cap using a Sharpie.
- With a large nail and a hammer, pierce through the cap right at the marked position. (Remember to place the cap on a hard surface, so that even if the nail goes through the cap, it won’t damage the surface).
- Screw the cap on the water bottle.
- Drill through the cap at the hole you pierced just now. It is best to use 1/4-inch drilling head and a power drill.
- Make sure you move slowly and steadily, with one hand holding the bottle.
- Remove the cap from the bottle.
- Using silicone, attach the rubber stopper to the outside of the cap. Make sure that the hole in the bottle lines straight up with the hole in the stopper.
- Leave the silicone for a few days to cure.
- Put the plastic tubing into the rubber stopper, until the tubing is flush with the hole in the stopper.
- Bend the tubing in an angle similar to the angles in commercial guinea pig water bottles.
- Wash and rinse the bottle well, remove any pieces of plastic remaining. Dry the outside of the bottle.
- Using 2 feet of 12-gauge wire, wrap it around the bottle some inches up from the bottom. Ridged bottles are easier to install, as long as you put the wire in the ridge.
- Twist the wire a couple of times, where the two pieces meet.
- Fill the bottle to the brim.
- Invert the bottle, hang it on the inside of the guinea pig’s cage with the plastic tubing face toward the center of the cage.
- Bend the wire over the edge of the cage to hold it in place.
- Clip off excess wire with a wire cutter.
- Adjust the bottle position so that your pet can reach it with ease.
Do you have a star in mind?
Provide clean water for your cavy is made easy with a guinea pig water bottle.
Like all other small-animal water bottles, the water bottles for guinea pigs are prone to leaking.
But you can prevent and solve this problem by simple steps mentioned in the article.
Choosing the right water bottle for guinea pig will not only help upkeep your pet’s health but also save you from cleaning the mess.
Last update on 2021-11-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API