Last Updated on
Every furry owner should aware of these dog food allergies faqs.
Solving food-related allergies in dogs is a big challenge to most pet parents who often confuse food sensitivity with food allergies. While the two conditions may have similar symptoms, food sensitivity (also known as a food intolerance) has a connection with the digestive system.
Food allergy on the other side is related to the body immunity.
Since the problem emanates from food, our primary solutions should come from the diet of our dogs. Establishing the ingredient that’s responsible for a given food allergy isn’t as easy as most dog foods feature various components.
Never wait until the condition of your pet starts deteriorating is when you look for a vet.
In fact, the kind of a diet switch should be your vet’s counsel. Healthy feeding program for your dog on artificial colors, flavors, and pesticides is the best remedy.
Though we have therapeutic treatments, they often lead to more absorption of toxic substances in your dog’s body.
- 1 Question and Answers of Dog food allergies
- 2 What can dogs take for allergies?
- 3 What is the hypoallergenic food for a puppy?
- 4 What’s a remedy for my dog’s loose stools?
- 5 What dog breeds are best for allergies?
- 6 How can I overcome food intolerances and allergies through bone broth?
- 7 How can I treat my dog who keeps scratching himself?
Question and Answers of Dog food allergies
What can dogs take for allergies?
The four main types of allergies in dogs include; Atopy, food, flea, and contact.
Atopy is the environmental allergy that’s characterized by excessive production of histamine when the dog’s body is exposed to a higher concentration of pollen in the atmosphere thereby forcing symptoms to show.
Food allergies require an immediate switch from diets that contain causative ingredients. However, you must be very sure about the culprit ingredients before initiating any diet change.
Sometimes you might end up replacing a bad ingredient for the worst one so you might seek a vet’s counsel before committing to any diet.
Atopy, flea, and contact allergies are the common allergies our dogs often experience and their treatments allow the use of simple Over the Counter medications.
Most of these medicines alleviate pain, reduce inflammation, and realize the recovery process.
Here’s the medication that your vet will most likely guide you to use to help your irritated dog;
- The price could be high, but you will appreciate the calm and quick recovery it will bring to your lovely pet.
- This shampoo doesn’t contain toxic ingredients like sulfate and paraben hence not harmful in any way.
- The strawberry and champagne fragrance it has neutralizes that bad odor that can come from the skin of your pet.
- The spray does well in ensuring that the hot spots and itches present no pain and discomfort to your dog.
- Also, it stops the reddening of skins and further bacterial infections.
- This shampoo has ingredients that stop further bacterial, mange, fungal, and parasitic infections.
- The presence of Aloe as a chief ingredient ensures a cooling and soothing effect on your dog’s skin.
What is the hypoallergenic food for a puppy?
Hypoallergenic dog foods are types of meals created for the canine animals that often experience allergenic problem whenever they eat normal diets.
A close study has revealed that it’s the meaty protein that contributes to many food-related allergies, so hypoallergenic foods do not comprise of the protein that a dog’s antibody can easily recognize thus lowering allergenic conditions.
Puppies are the primary victims of food allergies since they are being introduced to new meals at the weaning period causing their antibodies to react swiftly to foreign materials.
Hypoallergenic foods don’t have protein from the common source so it’s hard for antibodies to recognize them thus minimal allergenic conditions.
We cannot withdraw proteins from our pet meals even after establishing that their ingredients mostly contribute to food allergies.
Remember, our puppies need to develop and grow to their full potential, and it cannot happen without adequate proteins in their diets.
We, therefore, need to confuse the antibodies with a unique source of proteins to lower cases of food allergies.
Here are some hypoallergenic foods for puppies;
- Even though the young pet is exiting suckling, she should continue obtaining the nutrients she used to get from the mother.
- Puppy Bars ensure that the playful young dog gets colostrum to aid in strengthening the natural immunity of the puppy.
- The dog food has enough fibers to minimize chances of digestion problems thus low incidences of food intolerance.
- This is another hypoallergenic puppy food that incorporates the use of fish oil from salmon.
- The delicious dog food heals inflammation and promotes the attainment of smoother skin.
What’s a remedy for my dog’s loose stools?
‘Loose stool’ is a polite language for diarrhea or running stomachs in our dogs. It’s during such times that you cannot enjoy being a pet parent, but what’s worse is the pain and discomfort in the dog.
The primary solution to the problem is to stop further dehydration and introduce more fluids to your pet.
But, it won’t make sense to provide a lasting remedy without knowing the cause of the problem.
Diarrhea is one of the main reasons why most pet parents visit us, but I can tell you that you should never panic because the condition is treatable medicinally and with the help of good diets.
Here are some solutions;
- Once you notice that your pet is experiencing digestive issues, substitute his regular diet with a meal with the ones consisting of low proteins.
- This is because high protein often cause stomach upset in dogs so going for plain foods featuring low proteins isn’t a bad idea.
- The diets include; boiled turkey, boiled chicken, scrambled eggs, boiled white-rice, and cottage cheese.
- If you cannot establish the cause of diarrhea, it’s a good idea to perform some practices that allow a bowel movement to ease indigestion problem.
- Anytime the dog’s diarrhea, he releases healthy floras from the gastrointestinal tract.
- There’s always an urgent need to replenish the flora that has been passed out. Fortiflora fits the bill for the purpose.
What dog breeds are best for allergies?
Cases of allergies in dogs will be on the steady rise when we allow the predisposing factors to exist.
I have to say that all dogs have the risk of suffering from allergies, but dogs we refer to as hypoallergenic breeds tend to fall victims on a few occasions.
The type of pet coat that your dog wears determines the likelihood to suffer from or infect other dogs with allergies. It’s standard to note that pets that are vulnerable to allergies can end up affecting us with the condition.
When you buy a less susceptible breed, it will eat the ordinary dog food without suffering from allergies thus saving you from the cost of switching dog foods now and then.
Read more for organic dog food options.
Besides, you won’t be visiting your vet for treatments of allergies thus saving you your penny.
Importantly, a dog won’t be prone to allergies even if people in your household have the condition.
Dogs with dry coats like German shepherd suffer from allergies quite often than other breeds because dry skin causes excessive dander.
Bulldogs and Saint Bernard exhibit the habit of excessive salivating which makes them vulnerable.
Here is the list of hypoallergenic dog breeds;
- Portuguese Swimming dog
- Bichon Frise
- Italian Greyhound
How can I overcome food intolerances and allergies through bone broth?
Food allergies can go on in you without you detecting it until it reaches advanced stages that start to compromise your health situation. Now, I hope you can see how allergies in you can affect your dog and vice versa.
The effort to eradicate food allergies and intolerance should be given more emphasis before it costs us lives or much of our hard-earned money.
However, with bone broth technology, allergies, and food intolerance can be reversed hence allowing you to have freedom of eating the meals you like.
Bone broth helps in boosting immunity, improvement of joint health, and treatment of the leaky gut syndrome. The mentioned conditions are the main predisposing factors for allergies.
How can I treat my dog who keeps scratching himself?
Our dogs can sometimes scratch their itching bodies to the point that you see them experiencing immeasurable pain. Itching body often rises from food allergies especially if you the pet has itchy ears and weeping eyes. Red-belly is also evident in food-related allergies.
The duty of treating a dog with symptoms belongs to the vet and not you. Neither should you think of going the route of NSAID that will conceal the signs while allowing toxic chemicals to accumulate in your dog’s tummy.
Before thinking of going to a vet, the following are effective ways to minimize scratching in your pet;
- Pay more attention to what your dog eats.
- Put additional Anti-Inflammatory in the diet of your dog combat environment-related allergies.
- Human Anti-Histamine like Piriton and Zyrtec work perfectly in dogs too.
- Eliminate parasite on your dog and in your house.
- Add a little potion of a homemade spray consisting of cider vinegar and green tea in your dog’s food.
- Attempt the salt therapy to allow your dog to sniff out the impurities.
- Reduce sugary dog foods if your dog often develops a yeast infection.
- Wipe the itching areas or wash the dog appropriately.
In the pursuit to give our dog’s healthier lives, we keep on trying what can work best in our pets’ diets.
The ever-changing world requires us to adapt quickly with the changes to ensure our trusted four-foot friends live long and happy lives.